TOPICAL USE OF ESSENTIAL OILS
Using Essential Oils Topically – meaning applying it directly to the skin, is one of the most effective ways to gain the therapeutic benefits of the oils.
There are many different areas in which you can apply essential oils to gain amazing benefits.
The top places would include:
- The Feet – Now believe it or not the skin on your feet is the second most porous part of our body (your face being the most porous) and naturally the bottom of the feet are not so easily irritated, as in say comparison to the skin on the face! So the feet would be the number one most effective and least likely place you will get a reaction if you are sensitive.
- The Back – Applying oils along the spine is a great place to get some really great whole body benefits of the oils. Again, the back has a less likely chance of you becoming overly sensitive to an oil. It is also a place where children cannot touch themselves, thus not being able to touch the oil and then put their hand to their mouth or eye! Its a nice large area to apply too.
- The Pulse Points – So behind your ears, back of neck, on your wrists, behind your knees etc (similar to where you would apply shitty synthetic perfumes!). The pulse points would be more advised for adults and they can be soft skin areas, but you will get some nice absorption via this method.
- The Hands – If you have seen the AromaTouch Technique being performed you will know that the reflex points on the hands and feet are so beneficial to health and healing. The hands are a fantastic way to apply your oils in a hurry and you can then use the cupping method (cup hands around you nose and inhale) for a really great heightened application.
- Aromatic Dressing – This is when you apply 10-15 drops of your favourite oil into a dressing bowl, glass bowl or wooden bowl. You then add a big old squirt of Fractionated Coconut Oil or chosen carrier oil (Probably around 30-40 drops) and literally apply it all over your body. Work your way upwards from your feet up to your neck. This helps stimulate the blood flow upwards and gets the circulation going. Its great for the lymphatic system!
Diluting your oils is very important when using the topical application.
Generally dōTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil is the best Carrier Oil to use as it is the most efficient to use with their oils. Fractionated coconut oil has the fats removed, allowing it to stay liquid. It’s fragrance free, light, non-pore clogging, doesn’t stain, and won’t go yucky and rancid.
Please see below for the general rule of thumb dilution ratios… and happy oiling peoples!